Search This Blog

Friday, July 12, 2019

Where Is America Headed


  
                Where Is America Headed

     Every now and then the media captures a picture that tears at our hearts.  The recent picture of a father and daughter in the Rio Grande River tore at my heart. As I approach my fiftieth anniversary of being married to a Mexican American it is an issue that has had a significant presence in my life.  My wife’s family lives on both sides of the Rio Grande which makes it very personal. The picture showed the showed the high cost of pursuing a dream.  The situation on our southern border has turned into chaos over the last few months.  It is a side of America that is far from the image America has created over its 240 + years of existence. Every American except the Native Americans has made the journey to come to America. The American Natives have paid dearly so the imported Americans could pursue their dreams.

     Over my seventy three years of life I have met hundreds of people who have left everything to come here, many of them illegally. I have to say I admire those who have managed to get here and fit in to the system.  Knowing that at any time they could be apprehended, imprisoned and thrown out of the country. For as long as I can remember Congress has been going to address this issue. What we are seeing on the Rio Grande is because of Congressional incompetence.

    They come here, get a job and blend in to the system.  Yes every now and then some don’t. Those who don’t and create problems should be returned to their home county.  The truth is, based on my experience and conversations with many business men in America, they would go out of business without the Mexican labor.  I talked to more than one American orchard owner who said that they would lose their crops if they had to depend on American labor.

    As a Christian nation, or a nation that claims to be Christian, we should follow the Bible. Our Founding Fathers based much of what they did on the Bible. The situation we are now dealing with is addressed in the Bible.

     Exodus 22; 21-24…..  21Thou shalt neither vex a stranger, nor oppress him: for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt. 22Ye shall not afflict any widow, or fatherless child. 23If thou afflict them in any wise, and they cry at all unto me, I will surely hear their cry; 24And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

    I had to look up the word vex in Webster’s.  It means to disturb, or annoy, especially in a petty way, or to distress and or afflict. If you read verse 24 it makes clear God will judge the matter in a severe way. Looking at the Jewish history and that they were literally thrown out of their land, the last time for over 2000 years, God means what he says.  Just based on what the Bible says our national leadership may be bringing damnation on this country.

     While we are here there is another thing America is doing that is coming to a head. It should not be an issue as we are, supposedly, a Christian nation.  It makes clear that it is not just committing the crime that brings judgment, but even tolerating those who do, brings judgment.

     Leviticus 20:2-5…. Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel, Whosoever he be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel, that giveth any of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones. 3And I will set my face against that man, and will cut him off from among his people; because he hath given of his seed unto Molech, to defile my sanctuary, and to profane my holy name. 4And if the people of the land do any ways hide their eyes from the man, when he giveth of his seed unto Molech, and kill him not: 5Then I will set my face against that man, and against his family, and will cut him off, and all that go a whoring after him, to commit whoredom with Molech, from among their people.

     President Trump’s decision not to attack Iran over a missile being shot down, because he did not see it as proportional, shocked me.  It made me feel maybe there is hope in the present situation. His hatred of immigrants is not rational. He is married to one.  Trump should provide the leadership to amend the system to make it work.  Making hundreds of thousands of people miserable is not a solution. It may even backfire by turning many who are unjustly treated into future terrorist.

    If you take a hard look at the matter, many of the worst terrorist acts in American history, like the Oklahoma City bombing were committed by Americans on Americans.

    Many people ask why all this death and destruction is happening. It is pretty simple if you look at the Bible. You reap what you sow.  The killing of Chris Kyle at a shooting range in Texas is a perfect example of fulfillment of that Biblical truth. Kyle had killed over 160 people as a sniper in the military. It goes far beyond that incident.

    Since the end of World War II, America has engaged in multiple military actions that have claimed between twelve and fifteen million people.  Yes America lost over a hundred thousand men, but the vast majority has been at the expense of the other parties, unfortunately mostly innocent civilians.  Millions more have been made homeless by our activities.

     A former president and commander of our military warned America before he left office that the Military Industrial Complex was a threat to our very existence as a nation. That has proven true over the years. The draft ended in January 1973. President Nixon felt it would end the anti-war protest and it did. The intention was not to end war, but to end the complaining so the MIC could continue to market their weapons of destruction for a profit.

    The whole problem boils down to a lack of respect for human life. The Vietnam War protesters were not really worried about life, except their own. As a Christian nation the destruction of human life goes against everything we should stand for. Yet thousands of lives are destroyed daily by abortion. We have become a nation that believes sex is for recreation and not for creation.

    President Trump’s proclaimed views on abortion are one of the only things I like about the man. His recent concern and decision that destruction of human life was not proportional to the destruction of a drone shocked me. I was also impressed by his willingness to meet with the North Korean leader. It shows an attitude of not being scared to talk to an enemy. So I find some of Trump’s actions confusing. His willingness to meet with leaders that are known to be cold blooded murderers, while treating refugees like less than human animals, is perplexing.

    In Proverbs 6:16-23 it says what God finds to be an abomination. It lists seven things and Trump seems to be batting one hundred percent.  I know many professing Christians who believe God sent Trump to save America. It makes me cringe when I hear it and I have to wonder if they have even read the Bible and if they have, do they believe it?

     It is not my position or duty to judge Trump.  When I compare his actions to what the Bible says and requires of us. I pray I am wrong in my understanding, because if I am not wrong, God may be going to use Trump as a medium to pour out his wrath on mankind.

    That is something that will happen sooner or later because the Bible says so, but I would prefer to see America standing for God when it does and not against him.  Only time will tell in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment